Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Downloaders Anonymous

I've been downloading mp3 files on the internet lately and I'm very glad that I've acquired a lot of my favorite songs and artists through P2P file sharing. I understand that file sharing has an impact in terms of economics for recording labels and artists, but what can people do? Prices of Cds have not gone down and listening to your favorite artist has become expensive, that ordinary people like me cannot afford to buy original Cds.

Now, I've been true to my word regarding original CDs, DVDs and VCDs. I told myself that I will buy originals as long as I can afford it. I've been buying original DVDs for quite a while now and I think I've around 30-40 originals already. I've also been buying original CD and VCDs for the longest time, but it seems I can no longer afford to buy the latter. The last CD that I bought was The Black Crowes: Southern Harmony and Musical Acompanion, an old CD but I still didn't have it so I bought it at P450. Ouch!

It also doesn't help that most of the artists that I listen too can't be found on the shelves anymore. So people like me would automatically look for music on the net.

In previous years, people "pirate" music by recording songs from the radio. I used to do it in high school. Now, I'm still doing it but using a more advanced technology. I even rip my own Cds to mp3 files so that I can listen to them in my phone and to preserve them on my hard drive. Cds may have a longer lifespan than a tape but it is still prone to regular wear and tear.

If people are willing to share their music collection, then let them. And quite frankly, What's the difference anyway? Its just like making a mixed tape, only a lot faster.

I would like to think that people will buy more original cds or mp3s from record companies if the price is very reasonable.

Anyway, now I can sit back and relax while listening to my favorite tunes.

:-)

No comments: